Watch 'American Idol' Alum Pia Toscano Cover Rihanna, Sam Smith - Billboard 8/25/15

1 post / 0 new
Gary_OC's picture
Site Administrator
Watch 'American Idol' Alum Pia Toscano Cover Rihanna, Sam Smith - Billboard 8/25/15

American Idol alum Pia Toscano is busy putting the finishing touches on her forthcoming album of original material, but the singer found a minute to record covers of songs for fans to enjoy in the meantime.

The singer released two interpretations on YouTube early on Tuesday, Aug. 24 -- one of Rihanna’s “Diamonds” and the other of Sam Smith’s “Lay Me Down.” 

“'Lay Me Down,” she said, “ is a very personal song for me.” 

The clip is simply directed in black and white, with Toscano seated at a table surrounded by lit candles. She begins the song softly in a sweet falsetto before reaching inward for a powerful note toward the end.

“It brings me back to my relationship with my late grandfather and how I long to have him back in my life,” she said in a release. “Performing songs like this are like therapy to me and I needed that outlet.”

Both videos are directed by Jose Omar Hernandez. "Diamonds" features the singer simply seated by guitars and an amp as she sings the song in a lower register against a simple, piano-based arrangement.  

From the very first time I heard 'Diamonds' I fell in love with it,” she said. “I am a huge Fan of Sia's, who wrote the record,” she said.

Toscano’s intention was not to cover the song exactly as written, but to reinterpret it.

“The writing was so unique and visual; it immediately inspired me and painted a beautiful picture in my head,” she said. ”I knew that if I covered it, it would have to be done in a completely different way.”

Toscano has had a busy year. Earlier this winter, she ventured into the world of EDM with DJ Jenaux for a collaboration on the song “Renedgades,” which she co-wrote.

There is also buzz that the season 10 alum may join American Idol judge Jennifer Lopez this winter on backup for the singer’s forthcoming Planet Hollywood Residency at Caesars in Las Vegas. Toscano, who also sings the National Anthem for the Los Angeles Kings, has joined Lopez as a background singer on various engagements.

“I love having her,” Lopez said. “We have a great time on stage. I love her.”

Source:  http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/idol-worship/6677592/american-idol-pia-toscano-rihanna-sam-smith

You may also like these:

'American Idol' Alum Pia Toscano Goes EDM, Releases New Single via Beatport - Billboard (Forum topic)
Pia Toscano arrives at the iHeartRadio Music Awards at the Shrine Auditorium on Thursday, May 1, 2014, in Los Angeles.   American Idol season 10 alum Pia Toscano has teamed up with rising EDM star Jenaux for the release of the new single "Renegades."   The energetic track, released today...

'American Idol' Alum Pia Toscano Joining Jennifer Lopez on Summer Tour - The Hollywood Reporter (Forum topic)
Shortly after Pia Toscano joined Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Sanchez and Allison Iraheta for a performance on season 13 of American Idol, the season 10 alum was offered another golden opportunity from the "I Luh Ya Papi" singer. This Friday, Toscano will embark on a six-...

Tom Cruise Praises Pia Toscano After American Idol Alum Sings National Anthem at Kings Game (Forum topic)
Tom Cruise is doing some Idol worship these days. The superstar swung by last night's playoff between the L.A. Kings and the San Jose Sharks, but the "Oblivion" actor was clearly impressed by more than just the Kings' 3-0 victory. Cruise made sure to give props to American Idol alum Pia Toscano,...

‘American Idol’ Finalist Pia Toscano Releases Stunning Rendition Of Shawn Mendes’ ‘In My Blood’ - Hollywood Life (Forum topic)
Crafting a good cover song is no easy feat. An artist must give someone else’s creative vision justice, while also putting their own spin on it. Pia Toscano, 29, has the formula down to a science. The singer and former American Idol finalist has covered a number of soulful artists ranging from Sam...

American Idol Alum Pia Toscano Competes in Doritos Super Bowl Commercial Contest: Watch the Ad - Billboard (Forum topic)
Pia Toscano is competing for votes once more. The American Idol season 10 alum is featured as a hot zombie in a new Doritos advertisement entered in the chip maker's "Crash the Super Bowl" competition. The clip -- titled "Zombie Crunch" -- features Toscano, along with actresses Sara Fontenot and...